Monday, May 31, 2010

The Gravity of being Great

Zero Gravity by: Rhetorical Artz
How can I grasp a gravity that hasn't had me
 How can I attain what my experience can't explain
For if I have not ever known what is true agony
Than can I truly complain?

How can I grasp a gravity that hasn't had me
How can I master another masters' self-embodied skill? 
For if I have never truly moved amongst that master
Then is mastering it even in my will?

How can I grasp a gravity that hasn't had me
How can I move the masses when I speak?
For if I lack empathy or experience towards mistake of the many masses
Then are there any masses I can even reach?

How can I grasp a gravity that hasn't had me?
 How can I grapple with the gravity of a great?
For if I have yet to move within my own laws of gravity
I will never truly begin to relate

The gravity of this poem
   To explain the gravity of this poem I want to first talk a bit about one of my favorite TV shows- the Charlie Rose Show. The Charlie Rose Show- where "acclaimed interviewer and broadcast journalist Charlie Rose engages America's best thinkers, writers, politicians, athletes, entertainers, business leaders, scientists and other newsmakers in one-on-one interviews and roundtable discussions"(copied from http://www.charlierose.com/about/show/)-  is an awesome program for two reasons.

   The first reason, is because it offers an opportunity for the sharing of ideas that are as inspirational as they are insightful. The second reason is that the show democratizes the actions behind those very ideas for anyone who looks at the greats in a given area and says, "I have no idea how to get to a place of greatness in what I want to do in my life." I have been learning a lot recently from the acclaimed greats who have appeared on this show. The biggest lesson I have learned is how to apply the gem of wisdom that these greats have encountered- lesson which tokes some of these people years to learn- into my daily life. However, there are moments in each show when I feel a complete disconnect from the gravity of the experiences that these acclaimed greats are sharing. Why is that?

    The truth is that I am disconnected from the weight and rewards that can only be attained within those lived experiences. That is why if I want to lets say be an actor, listening to the insight from Charlie's interviews with actors like Morgan Freeman or Matt Damon are both encouraging and enriching to that end. But when I hear Morgan Freeman talk about being stuck in the role of Nelson Mandela for a whole day due to the sheer magic of that moment in filming, or the experience of an alternative reality that Matt Damon was able to be in during Green Zone, I feel as if I have entered an A to B conversation in which my lack of experience is "C"ing me out of the insiders scoop.

    This realization that lead me to grasping the significance or gravity of the self-lived experience. The gravity of truly living out the things that you have in your sights verses seeing them on the side lines through someone else. In other words, it is one thing to love the idea of doing or being something, but it is something different all together to love the activity of doing or being something. It is a distinction that has a tendency to be missed in our modern day society, a distinction that the poem above tends to, and a distinction that offers a very key lesson.

   The lesson is that if one mistakes an idea of being great- whether it be a great actor, writer, speaker, entrepreneur, artist, or any other genre of which being great applies- with the action of being great, they have separated themselves from ever truly grasping the gravity and experience of attaining actual greatness. Which ultimately means that if you want to being a great writer, start writing(which is why I created this blog). If you want to be a great thinker, start thinking. If you want to be great in general, then by God just start being generally great! But if your not doing what your discussing, then what your discussing is in reality nothing.

How can I grasp a gravity that hasn't had me?
 How can I grapple with the gravity of a great?
For if I have yet to move within my own laws of gravity
I will never truly begin to relate

  
The Movement Continues...
- Rhetorical Artz
      
To see more on this topic, click the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2uFH0NCMY4










No comments:

Post a Comment