Thursday, August 26, 2010

Write it Today, Rewrite it Tomorrow, Release it Never

My process for writing anything is simple. I write about something significant when I am experiencing it. I don't wait until I can look back and reflect on it. By then both the core content and power of that experience is already fading away. So I write the content that I am experiencing now. The article that you are reading right now came to me when I was on a 10 mile jog. I stopped and wrote out the outline for it on my cell phone during mile 4.

I stop writing and start rewriting when I am no longer experiencing that content. After that I give myself a day or more- possibly much more- to review and reflect on the lessons that I have learned from the experience. It is only after doing so thoroughly, or as close to thorough as I can get, that I begin the rewriting and revising of what I have typed out so far(at this point in the process I have usually typed it out). The jog that sparked me to write this article happened about a month ago. It wasn't until I spoke with writers about their writing process, read about how others were writing, and thought about it all in correlation to my approach that I began revising and rewriting this article.

So after going through this process, when is the perfect time to stop rewriting and release my final product? Maybe when I die. For their is honestly never a perfect time to release my work, mainly because their is always something not perfect about it. I can spend a lifetime revising, reviewing, even writing more of just one article alone. That is why to have to have what I call a "screw it point". Their needs to be a date or time that is set in stone for my work that says, " at this point in time I have done all I am willing to do to make this the best. It is time to send it out and hope for the best." My work will never be released if I do not have this point in time set up for myself.

This has not always lead to my most perfected piece of work, but it does get my work out there, and gives room for a fresh pair of critiques through the eyes of an audience.
The Movement Continues...
- Rhetorical Artz

No comments:

Post a Comment